1908 - 1990
||05 Aug 1908
||Harvey, Cook, Illinois, USA [1, 2, 3, 4]
||07 Aug 1990
||Chicago Heights, Cook, Illinois, USA
||09 Aug 1990
||Assumption Cemetery, Glenwood, Cook County, Illinois
||Ellis-Pagoria Family Tree
||23 Dec 2012 |
||Leroy Ellis, b. 16 Jan 1881, Thornton, Cook, Illinois, USA , d. 09 Oct 1948, Thornton, Cook, Illinois, USA |
||Carrie Genevieve Bell, b. 28 Jun 1884, Watertown, Sanilac, Michigan, USA , d. 29 Aug 1961, Chicago Heights, Cook, Illinois, USA |
||Harvey, Cook, Illinois, USA
||Samuel (Salvatore) Pagoria, b. 19 Jul 1903, Chicago Heights, Cook, Illinois, USA , d. 03 Oct 1960, Chicago Heights, Cook, Illinois, USA |
||08 Dec 1924
||Crown Point, Indiana
- Audrey Maxine Ellis was born August 5, 1908 in Harvey, Cook, Illinois to Leroy and Carrie Genevieve Bell Ellis.Audrey and her siblings went to school in Thornton. In 1910, Audrey lived at 15227 Turlington Avenue with her mother and father and two older siblings, Virgil (female) age 5 and Cecil age 3. Her father's occupation was listed in the 1910 census as "craneman". He ran a steamshovel at the local Thornton Quarry. Living next door at 15223 Turlington Avenue, was Leroy's father and mother, George and Emma Ann Baldwin Ellis and the rest of Leroy's siblings still living at home at the time.
By 1920, the family had moved into a rented house on Thornton Homewood Road inThornton Township. Several more children had joined the family. Russell Ray was born in 1912, Bessie Rae was born in 1915, Russell Leroy was born in 1917 and Gerladine F. was born in 1919. Unfortunately, Russell Ray died in 1917 while Carrie was pregnant and when the child turned out to be a boy, was named Russell Leroy after the recently deceased sibling. Leroy Ellis continued working at the Thornton Quarry as a Steam Shovel operator.
Sam and Tony Faso went to San Rocco school on Hungary Hill in Bloom. One of the places where kids hung out then was the Walgreens at the corner of Illinois and Halsted. It is possible that this is where they met the Ellis sisters, Virgil and Audrey whom they would later marry.
Sam & Tony began dating the Ellis sisters Audrey and Virgil, respectively, when they were still in high school. In 1923, Sam and Audrey were out driving after a date one night, They had a spat, and Audrey was sitting way over against the passenger door instead of in the middle next to Sam. The car hit a semi hauling a load of steel beams that had broken down and was parked on the road with no lights to indicate that it was there. One of the beams pierced the front window and would have killed Audrey if she had been sitting where she normally sat when driving with Sam. They were taken to the hospital. Sam's injuries were minor, while Audrey's left leg was pretty mangled. The emergency room doctors were considering removing the leg, when another doctor that the family knew stepped in and said no. That he would save the leg, which he did.
Sam and Audrey Maxine Ellis were married on December 8, 1924 in Crown Point, Indiana. They rented the residence at the 139 East 16th Street address from his father, where Sam along with his brother Frank and other family members from time to time ran a delivery business, Pagoria Trucking, delivering goods throughout the south Chicago suburbs. Sam was the secretary and treasurer. They owned several buildings in an around the 16th street address in Chicago Heights and also on Lowe avenue where Constance was born. The families stayed in the apartments on the second floors with the truckng business housed in one of the lower floors, a restaurant, tavern and dance hall was in the other buildings.
By 1930, Sam and Audrey had two children, Constance born 2/28/1926 and Nicholas born 3/25/1928. They continued to live at the 139 East 16th St. address. Also living with them in 1930 was Leroy Ellis, Audrey's father who at the time was 49 and was employed as an engineer running a steam shovel at the Thornton Quarry. According to Constance, Leroy had a drinking problem. Carrie and Leroy had separated probably in 1927 or 1928 with him living with Sam & Audrey Pagoria. She had taken the three youngest children Bessie, Russell and Paul and moved to Elkland township in Michigan where she rented and lived on a farm with an uncle, Jacob W. Spencer whose wife was Carrie's aunt (her mother's sister) and who had died in 1927 . Leroy and Carrie subsequently divorced and she remarried a man named Greenleaf in1935, whom she subsequently divorced. Finally, she married a man named Gleason and they moved to Michigan, where he subsequently hung himself.
In 1940, Sam and Audrey had three children living at home at the 139 East 16th St. address, including Constance now age 14, Nicholas now age12 and Geraldine born 8/13/1932 age 7. Leroy had moved out and was living .. However they now had living with them at this address Sam's brother Philip, his wife Jennie nee Corso, who had married on September 8, 1931 and their 6 year old daughter Concetta. Philip was a salesman for the trucking business. Also living with them at this time was Paul Ellis, age 18, who was Audrey's brother. Since he was driving for the company, and his parents were divorced it probably was just as well that he lived with his sister and her husband.
In 1947, Sam and Audrey were blessed with another child, Sam Joseph born 9/5/1947. Sam continued to run the Pagoria Trucking company until his death on October 3, 1960. The company assets were sold and Audrey continued to live at... until her death on August 7, 1990, 2 days after her 82nd birthday.
Name: Audrey Maxine Pagoria
Death Date: 7 Aug 1990
Death Location: Cook County, IL
File Number: 49214
Archive collection name: Cook County Genealogy Records (Deaths)
Archive repository location: Chicago, IL
Archive repository name: Cook County Clerk
Name: Audrey M. Pagoria
Born: 5 Aug 1908
Died: 7 Aug 1990
State (Year) SSN issued: Illinois (1960-1961)
Source Citation: Number: 342-36-1243;Issue State: Illinois;Issue Date: 1960-1961.
- [S5] 1910 U.S. Census, Illinois, Cook, Thornton Township, 13th Census Schedule; Online Images, Harvey Ward 2, Cook County, Illinois, Roll T624-241, page 16B Enumeration District 119, Image 213. Enumerated May 11, 1910 by Frederick W. Drogula. Dwelling number 240, Family number 345. 15227 Tarlington Avenue, Harvey, Illinois..
1910 U. S. census, 13th Census Schedule schedule, Cook, Illinois;Harvey Ward 2, Cook County, Illinois, Roll T624-241, page 16B Enumeration District 119, Image 213. Enumerated May 11, 1910 by Frederick W. Drogula. Dwelling number 240, Family number 345. 15227 Tarlington Avenue, Harvey, Illinois.
- [S6] 1930 U.S. Census, Illinois, Cook, Bloom Township, 15th Census Schedule; Online Images, 4th Ward, Chicago Heights, Bloom Township, Cook County, Illinois, Roll 414, page 5A, Enumeration District 16-2020, Image 776.0. Dwelling Number 47, Family Number 67, 139 16th Street.
- [S7] "Social Security Death Index", SSN - 342-36-1243, Issued in Illinois on 1960-1961. Birth August 5, 1908, Death August 7, 1990..
- [S10] 1920 U.S. Census, Illinois, Cook, Thornton, 14th Census Schedule; Online Images, Cook County, Illinois, Roll 31109_4300527, page 1A Enumeration District 211, Image 357. Enumerated January 2, 1920 by . Dwelling number 2, Family number 2. Thornton-Homewood Road, Thornton Township, Cook County, Illinois..